Wednesday 4 March 2015

Selma [Film]



At last I’ve seen Selma.

As most of you know, this blog is generally me being quite angry/disappointed or just downright rude about certain things. If you’re new to this- hello & welcome.

But unfortunately for me, I can’t be demeaning to Selma and am seriously having problems faulting it.

Let me give you a brief overview on it… It focuses on Dr Martin Luther King Jr. in both his political and partially his private life. Set in the height of the American Civil Rights movement it show the struggles Black Americans had, and their fight to have the same rights as White Americans, it’s one of the most notable fights within modern history (I should know, I studied it at A Level) that has really influenced modern day society as we know it today… Anyway, this is a history lesson, although if you want one, let me know & I’ll happily give you one.  

In many of film awards this year it has held a fair presence, while not always winning its categories it has won some- which is better than none right!?  Although in my opinion it should have won way more than it did, as they were all so well deserved.

The directing is on point and has three wicked producers, one being Opra Winfrey, who also stars in it, tbh I didn’t even know she was in it until I saw her and was all like errr… Opra? But she acted her character really well. So kudos to her.

DOP has got some amazing shots that really help to take the film to the next level. Meaning that, even if you’re not into the subject matter, you should go and see it just for the technical aspects and score.

A little more on the score- while a little cliché having gospel music amongst orchestral (N.B. I have nothing against gospel music and quite like some of it.) It just seems that considering the subject matter it was the easy go-to option. This is literally my only criticism. I’m not in any way saying that it was bad- just predictable.

The performances by the main actors and actresses were outstanding, and deserve more notation then they have already received. They help to turn historical fact into a truly emotional and consuming film.

Yet again like most of my reviews, I don’t want to tell you the whole plot- especially if you wish to go and see it. But I will say that it is one of the best historically accurate films I’ve seen in a very long while. For now, here's the trailer to have a look at.

Go and see it, but just to warn you- take a hankie.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment